The United Nations is advising the Philippines to be ready for an upcoming big earthquake. A quake with a magnitude of 7.2 or higher on the Richter scale is sure to hit Metro Manila, they say, but the bigger question is when exactly this will happen.
The Earthquakes and Megacities Initiative (EMI) report published in 2004 predicts that an earthquake with a high magnitude will surely occur because of the Philippine Fault Zone (also called the Marikina Valley Fault System), but experts can’t predict when this disaster may happen. According to the report, the death toll may reach about 35,000, some 145,000 people may be injured while around 175,000 buildings will be damaged.
Where exactly is the West Marikina Valley Fault Line? It lies northeast of Manila and traverses Marikina , Pasig going to Muntinlupa down to the south. Instead of being afraid and all panicky, we should make sure we are ready should an earthquake happen.
And for those who are located at fault line or near the said fault line make sure to leave the place as soon as possible, it is much better to avoid as early as possible than to wait for the disaster to happen.
Here is the List Of Major Fault Lines Of the Philippines
- Marikina Valley Fault (Montalban-San Mateo- Marikina – Pasig -Taguig- Muntinlupa-San Pedro-Binan-Carmona-Santa Rosa-Calamba-Tagaytay-Oriental Mindoro)
- Western Philippine Fault ( Luzon Sea-Mindoro Strait-Panay Gulf-Sulu Sea )
- Eastern Philippine Fault ( Philippine Sea )
- Southern of Mindanao Fault ( Moro Gulf-Celebes Sea )
- Central Philippine Fault (Entire Ilocos Norte-Aurora-Quezon-Masbate-Eastern Leyte-Southern Leyte-Agusan Del Norte-Agusan Del Sur-Davao del Norte)
- The earthquake that destroyed Guinsaugon is the Central Philippine Fault
- The 1990 earthquake that destroyed Central Luzon and Baguio is also the Central Philippine Fault.
Of these, the MARIKINA VALLEY FAULT poses the greatest danger because it cuts through all the modern and progressive portions of Manila such as Eastwood, Rockwell, Ortigas Center, Bonifacio Global City, Ayala Center, and Alabang. Also, the PhiVolcs people have warned that this fault line can move anytime because it is already “11 years late” for its movement.